Monday, November 24, 2014

Principles that Should Stay Put

Preservation of culture is something I believe is a must in society. Me personally, I was shaped by my Chinese culture and hip hop culture. As people progress on in their lives, they forget their culture in the process. Now moving forward in life and society is a great thing, we accomplish so much and are not limited, instead, we have the whole horizon to explore. But we lose a sense of where we all come from. Me, as I grew older, I started to lose sight of my roots. I started speaking less Chinese, I didn't take on my culture proudly, I started to actually talk a lot of trash about my roots. And there was the moment in my teenage life where I realized how important preserving my culture was.

For me, culture is what makes a person unique. How I was raised is different than that of other people. If everyone went one way and everyone threw away their culture and how they were raised, how would the world be? Cities like New York and Chicago are the last frontiers for culture. Cities are more diverse than any other parts of the world. Hanging on to culture is a privilege because that makes you unique. I look at the suburbs, people are trying to throw away their cultures. No disrespect but I can't imagine living somewhere where there is no cultural diversity and that mindset to preserve your roots.

No comments:

Post a Comment